Singer/Songwriter, Composer, Lyricist, Producer and Guitarist bringing 21 years of guitar playing ability to the field of teaching. Has played at weddings, ceilidhs, concerts, musicals, functions, fundraisers, live and studio sessions, radio broadcasts, gallery openings and festivals. Eight years experience in teaching, ranging from music schools, prison sessions and working with people of different ages and abilities.
Studied guitar and performance at the Academy of Contemporary Music, one of Europe’s leading contemporary music schools where we took ‘Session Styles’ a module designed to get us playing in many musical styles like a session musician and then took a degree in Popular Music Composition at Napier University, learning a deep understanding of how music functions.
Started teaching in 2007 at the Morningside School of Music as a guitar, bass and piano teacher; with Drake Music, working as a workshop assistant; and with the Scottish Prison Service at Polmont putting together a band for a concert and as a one-to-one guitar tutor. This diverse range of traning has given me the ability to adapt to different types of learning needs and interests as well as different age groups.
Skilled in pop, rock, blues, jazz, folk, indie, metal, latin and also beginners classical guitar and have taught everything from nursery rhymes to hip hop. Very familiar with Rockschool having taken several students though their grades and enjoys teaching students of all levels, tailoring lessons and material to their interests and abilities.
September 2016 – present date: Recording albums for clients and recording solo albums, Leith, Edinburgh/ Dorking, Surrey
• Recording and producing music
• Collaborating with musicians and organising sessions.
November 2008-June 2016: Private Music Tuition, Haymarket / Abbeyhill / Leith, Edinburgh, working as a guitar teacher.
• Helping others develop their talent for playing the guitar, teaching guitar technique and the reading of music.
• Instructing pupils in instrumental music.
• Showing pupils the difference between musical styles such as pop music, jazz and classical.
• Up to date with the latest in music technology.
• Able to motivate pupils to exceed their expectations.
• Possessing a highly motivated, flexible and determined outlook.
• Having a flexible approach to working hours.
April 2013-September 2014: Recording 3rd solo album. (Have since recorded and released albums 4 and 5 and 6).
• Collaborating with other musicians, organising sessions.
August 2012 and August 2013: Performing shows in the Edinburgh festival.
• Performing daily 45min sets with guitar, vocals and percussion at the Tron church.
October 2009-August 2012: Direct Distribution, Edinburgh: Delivery.
• Putting up posters promoting music and arts events in Scotland at café’s, pubs, clubs and shops in Edinburgh.
Summer 2011: Recording Project, Drake Music Scotland, working as Assistant workshop facilitator.
• Working with homeless teenagers and charity Four Square to provide them an opportunity to write and record music and produce their own studio CD at Drake music Scotland.
April 2009-April 2011: Bethany Christian Trust, Leith, Edinburgh, volunteer with Community Education.
• Weekly men’s drop in centre, preparing and serving meals and drinks.
• Being involved in activities including teaching guitar and setting up a music group.
• Working with the homeless. This lead to some live performances on Leith fm.
Spring 2010: After school music group, Craigroyston Primary School, working as a teaching assistant.
• Preparing classes.
• Teaching the children about sound and music through games and activities.
September 2009-December 2009: Scottish Prison Service, Polmont youth offenders’ prison. Volunteering as a classroom assistant and guitar teacher.
• Setting up a band of young people that performed in concert at the prison supporting ‘Glasvegas’
• Working with teenagers.
July 2008-November 2008: Circle and HOPE worldwide. (“Helping Other People Everywhere”). Let the voice tell the Story’- A charity concert, Canongate Kirk, Edinburgh.
• Raised money for a school in Bhuj, India.
October 2007-April 2008: Polar Flame Music (re-named Morningside School of Music), Morningside & Portobello, Edinburgh; working as a guitar, bass guitar and piano teacher.
• Preparing lessons, adapting a flexible approach to the teaching and learning of music.
• Managing the premises, opening & closing, keeping accounts, arranging client appointments.
• Working with children.